Getting Started: What to do before your First Lesson
A Guide for the Student Pianist
Robert T. Kelley
Note: This document is intended to function as a resource for prospective students who are looking for help on learning to play the piano. As preparation is an important component in the process of learning to play piano, here are some suggestions on how to prepare for your first lesson.
- Before the first lesson
- Obtain a piano method book
- Get whatever books your teacher recommends
- Read all of the "getting started" materials before your first lesson
- (for beginners) Learn where middle C is on the piano keyboard and on the grand staff
- Start practicing before the first lesson
- Have a piece (doesn't matter if it's really easy) prepared for your teacher at the first lesson.
Return to Learning to Play the Piano
Return to Pedagogical Resources
Return to Robert Kelley's Music Website
© 2001 . Reproduction of any part of or ideas from this document without permission is unlawful.